Sunday, July 27, 2014

Week #4 Reflections

This week I had the opportunity to explore and create my first Glog (Glogster).  I liked the web 2.0 tool and thought classroom teachers would be able to use this one page poster in a variety of ways.  I did struggle with how to use many of the tools but after playing around, I did get better at using it.  I have to say teaching yourself to use the many web 2.0 tools has been frustrating and a challenge.  Sure, you can go to YouTube and watch how to use the product.  However, I find value in learning new technology tools in Professional Development classes or courses.  We do this often in my district and teachers are teaching teachers.  They have that hands on instructor to answer a question immediately or show them how/what they may be doing wrong.
As this is only my second online course, I was very nervous and did not know what to expect.  I did watch the online videos Northeastern had on how to access the class and participate. I found these very helpful.  I do like the Discussion Boards and find they are meaningful and insightful.  My last class was in curriculum and Backwards Design.  We had students from all of the world and boy did they bring a global perspective that I never even new or thought about.  At times, I do miss the classroom and the face to face discussions.  The online classes provide an opportunity for me to take classes and still work which I find extremely beneficial.  I wonder what college will look like ten years from now.  Will students go to college to experience living away from home, managing their time, and make new friends face to face?  I worry that we may be coming to an era where students will do everything online.  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I also (attempted) to use Glogster and gave up on it after 20 minutes or so. I did not have the patience to figure it out that day, and I also did not like the pre-set poster options. I can see how it could be a useful tool and would be interested in using it with students one day, if PD is provided on how to use it or I can figure it out on my own.

    I wish new technology was part of the PDs at my school. However, as a para, I currently do not get a chance to participate in the PDs. But I do get the emails about what each PD is about, and I find it a little sad that the only technology one I can recall is on how to use the google chromebooks we got in at the end of the year. If more schools and districts taught technology use in PDs more students would be exposed to the new ideas and mediums that are out there.

    ReplyDelete