Sunday, July 6, 2014

Week #1 Reflection

As I reflect over the past week of this class, I am excited to say that I have learned how to Tweet! Although, I am still catching on to the concept, I now know I need to # things in order for people to see my posts.  I learned about a new curation tool called Scoop It and did some research on Nicholas Negroponte who is a pioneer in the technology world.  His effort on getting one to one laptops to children all over the world was impressive and powerful.  I am excited to share this new tool with my teachers at school.  I feel they would see the value of researching different topics and having the information in one place for students to view. I can also use this at staff meetings to share new information we are researching or learning about.
Lastly, today I was reading the Boston Globe and read an interesting article on "Dawn of the Web", Two Decades ago, a strange thing called the Internet started to arrive in people's lives. What did it feel like in the moment? An oral history. By Leon Neyfakh.  I tried to Tweet this article but not sure if I am doing it correctly.  Hopefully some of you can read it.  It really connects to our class of when the internet began and fast forward to where we are today!  Wow!  It was only 1994 when it all began and I had only been out of college for one year. 
I like how this class is offering me new tools to integrate into my school and to share with staff. Great first week!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa-

    Thanks so much for sharing your post. We followed a similar path this week, both learning some new tech tools, both trying Scoop.it and both looking at Nicholas Negroponte as a technology innovator. I enjoyed reading your description of Scoop.it and hadn't considered it as a tool from the perspective of an administrator. I think it poses some real possibilities as a tool for collecting information for teachers about various relevant topics. You could even assign teams of teachers to maintain a Scoop.it about certain topics over the course of the year.. That way the teachers would be actively involved in reading current material and you would not be burdened with culling through all the materials for content.

    Thanks again for sharing!
    Greg

    ReplyDelete